Pumpkin: Fall's Latest Superfood
Believe it or not, the thing that sits on your doorstep throughout the fall may do better on your plate than the porch! Here are a few reasons why pumpkin might just be this fall’s superfood.
1. Supports healthy blood pressure – pumpkin contains over 500 mg of potassium, more than you would find in a banana. Potassium helps to regulate our blood pressure and a diet rich in this mineral from fresh fruits and vegetables will help lower numbers.
2. High in vitamin A – pumpkin contains 245% of the RDA for vitamin A, which is important for eye health, vision, as well as skin. Beta-carotene offers our eyes and skin natural protection from UV rays. It is also what gives pumpkin its vibrant orange color. Beta-carotene also functions as an antioxidant in the body to protect our cells from free radical damage.
3. It can help you sleep – roughly 50% of the American population is deficient in magnesium. This mineral is vital for many biochemical reactions in the body and may prevent migraines, reduce insulin resistance as well as prevent muscle fatigue and cramping. Additionally, it will help you get a good night’s sleep. So, sit back, sip your decaf pumpkin spice latte and enjoy!
4. It is naturally low in calories – one cup of pumpkin contains just 2% of our daily value for calories while being naturally rich in essential vitamins and minerals. Whether you are looking to lose weight or just feel better, pumpkin can be a great addition to any diet.
5. It fills you up fast – one cup contains 7 g of fiber, which not only helps you feel full, it is also supportive to the digestive system. Fiber feeds the beneficial bacteria in our microbiome as well as supports detoxification of excess cholesterol, hormones, and toxins.
Pumpkin Spice “Latte”
1-2 Medjool Date, pitted
½ cup full fat coconut milk
10 oz brewed coffee, I like Bulletproof
1 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS organic pumpkin puree
1.5 tsp pumpkin spice
1 scoop grass fed collagen powder
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
Heat coconut milk and date(s) over medium heat until you reach a simmer – place in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until frothy and smooth.